Each new year provides the opportunity to reflect and prioritize. In other words, the new year is the ultimate Big Idea – offering a multitude of possibilities for essential questions and challenges. This year the Challenge team will be focusing on leveraging the Challenge framework and mindset to make positive impacts in our communities. For 2018 let’s find small and large ways to take action and make a positive difference.
Big Idea: 2018
EQ: How can we leverage Challenge Based Learning to make a positive impact in our lives, our schools and communities?
Challenge: Make a positive impact in your community!
Sample Guiding Questions
- How can we learn and make an impact at the same time?
- Who is our community?
- What challenges do we face?
- What are our talents and how can we use them to make a difference?
- What do we need to learn?
- Who gets things done in the community?
- Who do we need to network with?
- Why are we doing what we are doing and how can it make a positive difference?
Sample Guiding Activities
- Do a curriculum analysis and look for opportunities to add challenges focused on the community.
- Get to know your community by walking and talking to people.
- Explore your local community through the lenses of different academic disciplines.
- What is the science of our community
- What is the history of our community?
- What are the community politics?
- What does math tell us about our community?
- Explore the different types of networks in your community.
- Study how change happens across multiple disciplines.
- Create a grounded research study of your school community using photography to identify trends and themes.